Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Silly Winter

Most of us have lived in the Minnesota/Wisconsin region most, if not all of our lives. How is it possible that every year, come that first big snow fall, we all forget how to drive? Is it possible that we forget that ice can be slippery? Or it will take more time to slow down? I am not sure why our memory seems to be so short lived when it comes to winter, but it happens every year, to everybody.
I myself started my "forgetful winter" stage about two months ago. I like to do some winterizing to the house before it gets too cold, and if I recall correctly, we had a pretty nice fall, and for some reason, I decided that because it was so warm so late in the season, we were not going to get winter at all. Now, after more that two feet of snow, and drifts that measure upwards of 10 feet, I realized, I never did get those screens off my windows, or put the cooler away that sat in front of my garage for three months. I have frozen water hoses, that will not unthaw until April the way these tempuratures are going.
We all know winter is coming, but how many of us got the snow blower out, and made sure it worked before the storm hit? My dad actually had to use the bucket tractor to plow out the snow blower! He spent quite a bit of time doing that in the frigid cold wind, when, with just a little forthought, most of the work (and discomfort) could have been avoided. For the next five months, most of us will be begging for summer to come back, and once again, we will forget about winter, and all the bad things that come with it. It sure is beautiful looking out a window at the glittering trees isn't it though?

1 comment: